Friday, October 5, 2012

Dream kitchen reno

Our current kitchen is functional, but not pretty or really that practical. The oven is quite old and either burns or under-cooks  The cupboards are a creamy yellow, but with silly shelves that don't fit properly. The benchtop is bright green, but to tell the truth I'm quite used to it and it's quite cheery! The flooring is a pain; slate (which I hate!) in the small kitchen, faded lino in the eating area and stained carpet in the lounge room.

Ha, I know these are 'first world problems', but there you go. When you spend as much time at home (and in the kitchen) as I do, then these things bother you!

We've started talking with Dan and Amy from S2 Studio about a kitchen renovation, oooh! We know Dan and Amy from our past lives (ie from school and old friends) so are excited to be planning this venture together! We decided to get architects involved because we didn't think that a kitchen company would take our whole house into account when planning a kitchen. We've discussed our dream plans for our kitchen, how we use the main areas of our house and how we feel about our space.

I thought I'd show you some pictures (discovered on Pinterest) of how I see our new kitchen in my mind!!

One day we will replace the three mis-matched floor coverings with some sort of wooden flooring; throughout the kitchen, eating area and lounge. We're dreaming of the new kitchen in white and wood, one of my favourite combinations. Check these pics out!



How luscious are those wooden shelves! I would have to learn the art of dusting if I owned them though!


This pic has a pool out the front, which we don't have (waaa!), so just ignore that! Here I love the dark upper wall (with the shelving) and the placement of a washing machine in the kitchen. I'm thinking of doing the same, to free up storage space in the laundry.

I love the style of this older kitchen, most of all the dramatic splashback, how cool is that! I've got this idea in my mind that we could totally rock this type of tiling, maybe in a smaller dose. Check out the black and white tiles in the next pic for another example:


from Bolig

I've also got this idea that we could have black cabinetry at floor level, and then any higher cabinets could be white to keep the look from being too dark. (I also think that the black would hide more spills!!) I super love those pendant lights too, but unfortunately our modest house doesn't have dramatic high ceilings, so check out the light in the next pic for an idea I've got:


I love that black wall lamp, it would be great task lighting in a kitchen, and moveable too!
(ps, I haven't yet shared with you our new dining setting, but it is quite like the pic above but with white seats, amazing!!!)

What do you think, any other ideas for me??

4 comments:

  1. I love them all but I have to say I'm a HUGE fan of wooden counter tops, metal/powdercoated (and brightly coloured) cupboards and dark accent walls... I also love those tiles that are brick shaped in black or white for splash backs... Now I want a new kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about coloured cupboards or benchtops, but I know my taste will change & I'll get sick of them! easier to change accessories I think. Please get the brightly coloured kitchen for me!!

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness- we have exactly the same taste!

    You've just won the bergies gumboot give-away on my blog too

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you approve! (I'm just about to email you about the giveaway!!)

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to read my blog & comment!